Siamese cats are the kind of cats that are very loyal, intelligent and gentle.
One of the best-known cat breeds, the Siamese is curious, smart, vocal and demanding. There are two types of Siamese: show and traditional. The show Siamese is a work of modern art, all lines and angles. The traditional Siamese, also known as the apple-headed Siamese, has a rounded head and chunky body.
Choosing A Siamese
- Find a responsible breeder. This will ensure that the cat is in good health and does not have feline leukaemia virus or feline immunodeficiency virus. Check to make sure that the kitten is not sneezing or sniffling, that the eyes have no discharge and that the ears are clean and pink inside.
- Make sure that if you are buying a kitten, it should be not younger than 12 weeks of age.
- Siamese cats have short and smooth fur and should have no bald patches or signs of dry or flaky skin.
- Check for fleas. They are usually found behind the ears and at the base of the tail. You can look for black sand on the animal as this is flea dirt and is a sure sign that the cat has fleas.
- Be sure that you get a written sales agreement from the breeder that provides the breeder’s health guarantee. You should also take the cat to the veterinarian as soon as you can to ensure that it is healthy. You also need to have a good veterinarian for your pet and know where the nearest emergency pet hospital in case the cat gets sick after hours.
- Plan to keep your Siamese inside and get it neutered or sprayed at around 5 months. They can go into heat quite young. This is the best way to keep it happy and disease free. It also helps prolong their lives.
- Like all pets, you also need to keep your cat clean, give it cool water and food.
- You can pick a dry food or can food that is nutritional and made for you cats specific needs.
- If you have a kitten, you should pick a kitten food.
- To keep them away from disease, you should also clean you cats litter box regularly.
Siamese cats are affectionate and social animals. They are good with children and adults. However, they demand to be entertained but they will also keep you happy in return. Take note that they are the type of animal that likes to climb to high in your home. They can also be loud as they like to talk and they have harsh voices.
You must also know that they thrive on human interaction. Thus, if you are rarely home, having this breed of cat may not be good for you or the cat. They require time to play with you and enjoy catnip and cat toys.