Chinchillas are a variety of the Persian cat. The Chinchilla is classed as a “silver” cat. Chinchillas have a quiet, gentle nature and would suitable for anyone with the exception of small children, the same applies to all Persian cats .
Eye colour is usually emerald or blue/green and the pads on the paws are black.
- The Chinchilla undercoat should be pure white, the coat on the back, legs, flanks, head, ears and tail is tipped with black. It is this tipping evenly distributed that gives the characteristic sparkling appearance.
- The face and legs may be very slightly shaded with the tipping but the chin , ear tufts, stomach and chest must be pure white. Any cream or brown tinge or tabby markings is considered a fault.
- Chinchillas are generally very placid, quiet cats, happy to lie around the home being decorative.
- They are affectionate, enjoy attention and can become quite attached to their owners. They are ideally suited to flats or houses as many prefer to spend much of their day inside.
- The long white coat does shed a lot of hair which will become worse when the winter coat is dropping.
- They will need grooming daily in the cooler months or less frequently when not in full coat. While daily brushing will reduce the amount of hair shed, it will still cover clothes and furniture.